There is no ex officio examination conducted prior to registration except regarding formalities. The term of protection is 5 years from the date of filing, and may be renewed for 5 years at a time until a 25 year term of protection is reached.
Documents and information required
- Pictures (graphic or photographic ≤ A4 (21 cm x 29,7 cm) of the design, in 4 copies, which shows clearly the design. A photocopy of a photograph does not suffice. If the applicant wishes to register the design in colours then 2 copies of the pictures in colours are required in addition to the 4 black and white copies.
- A Power of Attorney, no legalization is required. Must be filed within 3 weeks from the filing date.
- An Assignment, if the applicant is not the designer, no legalization is required. Must be filed within 3 weeks from the filing date.
- The applicant’s and the designer’s full name and address.
- If priority is claimed, the number and the filing date of the priority application must be included in the application. The priority must be claimed on the application date and within 6 months from the date of the priority application.
- A title for the design.
- Whether the design is an ornament. If so we will need pictures showing the ornament on the goods.
- The application may include a classification according to the Locarno Agreement. If no classification is included the Patent Office will classify the design.
- Specification of the product or products, covered by the design.
An application may also include
- A brief description of the design (maximum 150 words). The description does not affect the scope of protection.
- A model of the design. If a model is submitted it will be authoritative regarding the appearance or composition of the design. The model shall weigh less than 4 kg and not exceed the volume of a square which sides are 40 cm.